The short answer for me is that they are recommending HBOT again for this procedure - 20 before and then 10 after.

I do want to find out more about HBOT and I guess now I will have the opportunity. I spoke with one oral surgeon a few months ago and he seemed fairly knowledgable but unfortunately I didn't take notes nor ask him if there was a study with the information. From what I recall he stated that the oxygen level was only 40-44% after RT and before HBOT. Right after HBOT it is around 90%, and then drops to around 80% - not sure of the time frame for this drop and not sure if it continues to drop. I had asked him if I would need HBOT again if I required an extraction, and he said no.

However, the procedure they are now recommending is a little more involved. I believe it is called an apicoectomy (surgical removal of the tip of the root). I've been in considerable pain since late October. I first went to my dentist (Prosthodontist), who referred me to an Endodontists for a root canal. They diagnosed me with external root resorption (not sure what caused this). The Endodontist referred me to an oral surgeon, and the first available appointment was mid-December (ARGH).

Earlier this week I went to my ENT, who had been on an extended vacation or I would have gone to see him sooner. He put me on an antibiotic and was surprised that neither doctor prescribed one for me as the area was swollen and extremely tender. He made a call to another oral surgeon, and they had a cancellation and was able to see me the next day. The task for tomorrow is to find a HBOT facility that can fit me in their schedule really soon! Fortunately there are 4 that I know of within an one hour drive.

Christine & Paul, I think it would be a great idea if we could track down some updated guidelines on HBOT. I will see what I can find out.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)