Hi all.
i hit my 1 year anniversary of my last surgery which included a mandibulectomy. They took about half of my lower jaw. The cancer was in my jaw (about 1.6 cm of tumor per the pathology report).

I think my dry mouth got worse after surgery...which I was not expecting. Nerve damage and pain is there but managed. I am sure the root cause was from the radiation received 10 years ago. Anytime you mess with my mouth, the radiation contributes. I had a fistula and still have an infection in my gum or tooth. It is so small that that they are having a hard time confirming what and where. It's not getting worse but it did leave damage on my outside of my skin.

I don't have most of my lower teeth yet. the dental posts are there but teeth will happen around early spring (fingers crossed). I have a bit of PTSD when i go into hospitals or think of my jaw surgery.

I don't look like my former self....which is very hard- I don't have lower front teeth. People stare....although it is more kids than adults now so that must mean it's not so obvious. I am very active and have an elementary age kid so i can't hide out...nor do i want to.

crazy, from the neck down i'm fine but my mouth is yucky. How do you all deal? and does it get better if you've had the jaw surgery? when? it's crazy, because i can believe it was my life. I'm grateful to be above ground but it doesn't end there. you have to live and co-exist with the the cancer damage and post treatment. Some days are better than others and i hope once i have teeth i will feel better about myself.

I have found that the xylitol tabs work at night so they do provide some relief. I was given cymbalta to help with nerve pain. too early to tell if that will help because it bugs my stomach and i have to ease into still.

how do past survivors deal with the above?

Age 44. Diagnosed at 34 (2006) with T1N0 SCC tongue on right side. Neck dissed & 6 weeks Radiation. 30% tongue removed. Never smoked;
2nd recurrence 1/2013 on left side. Surgery to remove 2/2013 forearm flap/neck dissec T1N0; brachytherapy 4/2013;
3rd recurrence 11/2015 mandibulectomy for jaw bone cancer Stage IV/no lymph node involvement