Welcome Joanne! Sorry for your recent troubles, but you joined the best place around, and Christine has given the best advise and insight. I haven't had this particular type surgery, but plenty of others, including dozens of scans, biopsies.

What does your radiation oncologist say? Sometimes they may order one sooner or a different type scan depending on what their looking for, patient needs, and some like to switch between scans like CT then next time a PET/CT, but I can't have contrast, so have an MRI instead.

There is no general consensus on post treatment scanning, other than 3-6 months post treatment, according to NCCN guidlines, but that's for cancers of the oropharynx, larynx, hypo-pharynx with T3, T4 disease only, but not for oral cancer, so it depends on your doctor and facility. Mine do scanning 3-6 months post treatment and every 6 months after, do far. Hopefully I'll graduate to once a year.

I had problems biting my tongue or running sharp tooth causing an ulcer, was so thought, but that was punch biopsied in the ENT office being it was palpable and visible to do so without a scan. Sometimes medications may cause tongue issues. I had a few that said can cause tongue swelling, and metallic taste, and tongue issues with thrush to mention a few, so it really can be anything besides cancer, but you're doing the right thing seeing your doctors.

Good luck and hope this helps.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI