Hi,
I was diagnosed with SCC in April 2016 and had a partial glossectomy with reconstructive surgery of the left front part of my tongue on 5/9/16. I had 30 rads no chemo to treat nerve invasion, and finished my last treatment on 7/30/16. The reconstructed tongue flap has been a little numb, as expected.

But about a month ago, 5 months post-surgery, I noticed the whole tip of my tongue (flap plus "normal" part) started to feel a little numb and tingly. I didn't notice any bumps or anything unusual. It's felt the same for over a month now. Has anyone else experienced this? I went to my ENT last week and he said it's nothing to worry about, could be the nerves reconnecting. I had thought he was going to order me a PET/CT scan since it's been 3 months post-rads, but he said I didn't need one yet and he'd check on my tongue in a month.

I spoke to another patient of his who had the same surgery and rads a year ago, and he said he told her to get an MRI instead of PET/CT scan at 6 months post-rads, since she'd already had enough radiation. I'm assuming he'll do the same with me.

The reason I'm worried is that a few days before my surgery, my tongue started to feel a little numb and tingly. I told my ENT right before I was about to have surgery, and he'd said that it wasn't a good sign. I'd appreciate hearing feedback from anyone who's had similar tongue numbness.

I also just noticed yesterday that there is a hard lump in the middle of my tongue, right next to the flap edge. I don't recall feeling it before, but by now, I don't remember what a "normal" tongue feels like. I'm hoping it is scar tissue...

Aloha,
Joanne

SCC 4/20/16, bottom middle of L side of tongue, T2, HPV-neg
Partial glossectomy 5/9/16, L lymph nodes removed (neg), nerve invasion
30 rad 6/20/16-7/29/16
Non-smoker, non-drinker