I, too, extend a warm welcome to you.

It is important to discuss with your medical team the problems you are having with swallowing -- food, liquids and meds. Your medical team need to have a clear idea of what the situation is so they can advice you on what to do and make adjustments to your medications if need be.

My husband needed to put his pills in a pill crusher (you can buy one from Walmart or GNC, the health food store, or from Amazon) and then in apple sauce before he could swallow them. Store-bought apple sauce is fine but I made my own so that I could add variety like apple sauce made from different kinds of apples, apple-pear sauce, etc. My husband needed a PEG tube from about the third week of radiation on. At our hospital, most head and neck cancer patients are required to have a PEG tube irrespective of whether they need it or not. In my husband's case, it helped him maintain his weight, hydration and nutrition all through radiation and after. ChrsitineB is right to emphasize the importance of hydration. On the couple of occasions when my husband was dehydrated, he felt like death but felt better very quickly once he was given intravenous hydration at the hospital.

Talk to your pharmacist often as they can give you information and insight into how some meds should/can be taken when a patient has swallowing difficulties. They are an important member of the treatment team.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.