Im one to always look for the positive in things. Since your husband is in the hospital while undergoing treatments, he is in the right place for help with anything and everything that could develop.

When a patient is undergoing chemo with rads their blood counts will be off. I remember my numbers were bad for years. I must confess without the correct blood level guide with the blood levels Im unsure of what normal ranges would be. Remember, I do not have any medical training. If your husbands (I think its his white count) numbers are too low, he could be given a shot of neupogen. This is common among cancer patients, Ive had it a few times.

Depression is prevalent among OC patients, even caregivers can be affected and need some help as well. Think of the psychiatric counseling as just another tool to help your husband. When you finally do speak to the doctor, ask them directly just how much your husband has been told and if the info has been filtered at all.

Many patients who have the 3 "big bag" method of cisplatin chemo have not been given their original regime of chemo. I was able to tolerate the first chemo treatment but was so sick fom it, the second dose was cut in half and the third dose omitted completely.

Have you tried leaving a message for the physicians at the hospital? I would have a chat with your husbands nurse and have them make a note for the doctor to call you after they examine your husband. Its worth a shot. Ive found that nurses can be a very helpful as a go-between when trying to talk with doctors.

This link from the main OCF site could be helpful in understanding treatments and all kinds of other things. By educating yourself about OC, it will help to make you a stronger advocate for your husband. Im sure this is terribly difficult for you as well. Please remember to take time for yourself and make use of anyone who has offered to help. Take them up on it! This can help to give you a few minutes of free time to catch your breath or to do something nice for yourself.

OCF Main site--- Treatments, ETC...

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV