Don here describes what I have observed as well. To the treatment team I would also add the pharmacist. The pharmacists at my local drugstore took a lot of time to educate me on the effects of the multiple medications John was taking, the possibility of conflicts and how best to take certain meds to ensure that the patient reaps the full benefit. They told me that they were happy to take the time because I was interested in learning. I think that's the same with doctors and nurses. If I showed that I knew something about what I had a question about (even using some of the medical terms like "postural hypotension") they were much more inclined to give me more info and to have longer discussions. John was not an uninterested patient, but it was just too much complexity for him to keep the details clear in his head. I felt that as caregiver/case manager, it was a vital role for me to play.

Last edited by gmcraft; 05-27-2016 05:41 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.