Back in October, I posted a request, to those of you who have had neck dissections, to share your experiences. Thank you so much to those who did so! Now three months post surgery and subsequent radiation and chemo therapies, I will post my experience for those who might find it helpful.
My oral cancer journey began with a diagnosis of SCC of the gum (alveolar ridge) back in 2010. Recurrences in 2012 and 2015 confirmed we weren't done with this cancer yet. The reoccurrence and metastasis to my neck last September proved to be more serious that a simple neck dissection. Surgery included left extended modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection, followed by cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.80 Gy. I have come through the treatments well and enjoyed Christmas surrounded by family. I'm waiting for taste to return (as I have experienced after 2013 radiation treatment) but am tolerating food by mouth. Of course, it's not a good sign that it has metastisized to the neck, especially with carotid artery involvement, but I choose to keep a positive attitude that the treatments will arrest the cancer this time around. I wondered if any out there have had any similar experiences with neck metastasis and the outcome of treatment? Thanks for being willing to share.

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection