Hello Amanda - Welcome to the forum. You have already received a lot of valuable suggestions to get busy with; so I won't address them.

What I will tell you is of course you will experience some discomfort over the next few months. It might be what you consider a lot or it might not be so bad. Mine wasn't bad at all. It's not bad for everyone. I live alone and didn't have a caregiver, but I did have a lot of friends willing to help and I had this wonderful OCF support group to communicate with literally on a daily basis. These guys are who got me through the disease. They (and I) will do the same for you.

So, get busy studying and learning about your disease and treatment. The more you know the better patient advocate you will be for yourself and the better results you will get from your treatment. Don't be afraid to ask the doctor (and the nurses) as many questions as you want and keep asking until you are satisfied you understand the answer. Be the squeaky wheel if you need too.

Take care, try not to worry, we'll be watching out for you.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good