Hello, My name is Mary. I'm from Ireland but live in New York. My 86 year old mother who lives in County Cork was just diagnosed this week with cancer on the front area of tongue and lymph nodes in neck. The surgeon said radiotherapy is not an option, her only option is surgery. He thinks she is a strong enough candidate to pull through (he said there's a 50/60% chance of removing all the cancer) which I find odd seeing as my mother has been quite ill over the last two years with a severe case of shingles on her face/head. The post herpetic neuralgia pain is still there and she has lost so much weight, is very weak and spends most of her time in bed. I've been reading about the recovery from such and that in itself seems monstrously painful. Love any advice. She will be getting the surgery in the South Infirmary in Cork with a doctor who was trained at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.
Thank you very much. p.s. I'm heading to Ireland this week and wi-fi is hard to find in her part of the country.

I joined 12/2015 as my Mother who is in her 80's and lives in Co.Cork, Ireland (I live in New York)has an agressive case of cancer in front area of tongue and lymph nodes in neck. The surgeon has recommended removal of the lymph nodes and area of tongue. 50/60% chance he can remove it all. 15% chance she may not come out of the surgery. I have so many questions on how an elderly lady can cope with the after affects. She has agreed to the surgery first week of 2016.