Zenda, another treatment to perhaps discuss with your dentist is the use of a daily hydrogen peroxide gel. This is not cancer patient specific, but I have found good success. My dentist recommended to use Periogel, a 1.7% hydrogen peroxide gel applied in soft rubber forms/trays which fit tight up over the gum lines, and push the gel up and in. It is used for 15 minutes a day.

In searching OC site I didn't find this product mentioned, just oral rinses which have much less 'staying' power.

I've been using it for 9 months, and at last check up the pockets between my teeth had reduced 1 to 2 millimeters. Going 6 to 5 or4, 4 to3, etc. I can feel the gums have tightened, and any occasional pain or discomfort in the gums is gone.

This is both healing and preventive care, the package says'oral debribing agent / oral wound cleaner', my dentist and his staff use it daily. It is about $400 plus/minus depending on your area for the set-up, the gel is $20 which lasts well over a month.

Maybe check with your dentist to see it if might be appropriate in your situation,

Take care,

Nov2011Tonsil Cancer Stage3 T1N1 HPV+, Non-smoker, slight drinker
Dec2011 Radical Tonsilectomy (TORS),
Jan2012 Neck Disection areas 2,3,4
Feb2012 Opinions from 5 RO's decision for No Rads/No Chemo
Jan2013 all clear at 1 year , continue regular check-ups
Jan2014 all clear at 2 years, less frequent check-ups
Jan2015 all clear at 3 years, MRI, chest x-ray, blood work all good