Posted By: ZendaT Periodontal Disease - 12-08-2015 08:58 PM
Ten years after external radiation through my right mandible to treat SCC in my right tonsil and lymph nodes, I was diagnosed with periodontal disease around my back molar in my left mandible. My oral surgeon is concerned about osteomyelitis and wants to remove the tooth. I have had 120 HBO dives (2010 to 2014 to treat right mandible osteoradionecrosis, fistulas, and partial right mandibulectomy. I will have my HBO consult tomorrow, but I already know from that team that the Marx protocol of 20 dives before the extraction and 10 dives after is indicated. My last treatment for cancer, SCC mets to my lungs, was in 2014 and I have been without evidence of disease through PET and CT scans since that time.

I do have some concerns about additional HBO therapy, and my pulmonologist and medical oncologist are not knowledgeable since I am one of those "outliers." I have bronchiectasis as a result of mets treatments, pneumonias, scarring, and have infections every 2 or 3 months that show up with hemoptysis that can be heavy and persistent until antibiotics clear the infection.

None of my docs has experience with my particular set of circumstances nor have I been able to dig up much information on the internet. So, I am turning to the best source for experience ~ survivors on the OCF Forum. Would love to hear from you. Thanks.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-11-2015 06:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, Zenda. I don't have the same lung issues as you in regards to HBOT, but did have an elevated diaphragm and atelectasis in the left lung found upon the required x-ray, but was still approved for HBOT by all my doctors. Maybe The International Hyperbaric Chamber Association or The New England Journal of Medicine, which you my already have checked, has an article?

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
Posted By: MikeM Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-12-2015 03:40 PM
Zenda, another treatment to perhaps discuss with your dentist is the use of a daily hydrogen peroxide gel. This is not cancer patient specific, but I have found good success. My dentist recommended to use Periogel, a 1.7% hydrogen peroxide gel applied in soft rubber forms/trays which fit tight up over the gum lines, and push the gel up and in. It is used for 15 minutes a day.

In searching OC site I didn't find this product mentioned, just oral rinses which have much less 'staying' power.

I've been using it for 9 months, and at last check up the pockets between my teeth had reduced 1 to 2 millimeters. Going 6 to 5 or4, 4 to3, etc. I can feel the gums have tightened, and any occasional pain or discomfort in the gums is gone.

This is both healing and preventive care, the package says'oral debribing agent / oral wound cleaner', my dentist and his staff use it daily. It is about $400 plus/minus depending on your area for the set-up, the gel is $20 which lasts well over a month.

Maybe check with your dentist to see it if might be appropriate in your situation,

Take care,
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-14-2015 11:51 PM
Thanks, Paul and Mike. I will check with my dentist re Periogel. I have started the Marx protocol in HBOT to address the extraction, and I am using Peridex rinse but I want to make sure I am doing all I can so I don't lose additional teeth. I am fond of those remaining.
Posted By: Midwestwife Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-17-2015 03:04 AM
My husband is beginning HBO treatments before an extraction. I looked at the treatment center's website and it states that it's not covered under insurance for many issues. Does anyone have more info on this?
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-17-2015 03:15 AM
Your husband's insurance should be contacted by the HBO treatment center before he begins his dives to determine if his insurance will cover treatment. Have the business office do so.
Posted By: Midwestwife Re: Periodontal Disease - 12-19-2015 03:44 AM
Thanks, Zenda.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum