So, the past few days Hubby has been so quiet I hardly know he's here. I finally got him to talking and he told me he's just tired of fighting this. I tried to point out how he's come back from worse ... after radiation it was all he could do to get down a tiny sip of water. At least this latest surgery left him able to get down purees and Ensure.

He complained about the dark dreary days. Today we have sunshine and I tried to get him to sit in a chair where the sun will shine on his face. He only lasted about 10 minutes. Then back to the recliner.

He says he just wants to sleep till he's feeling good. I tired to remind him how healing being up and about is for a person. I got the frown. He truly does want to do nothing but sleep.

How on earth can I inspire him to be active? It's been 3 weeks since surgery and there's nothing wrong with his legs or his lungs. He's just not motivated to get up.

And how do I keep from being drug down with him? My one sided cheeriness can only last so long. At some point I need to see a response, or some results, or at least a smile.

How does one deal with the emotional crippling of a cancer?

Donna
Caring for Hubby: Age 73

Radiation, Hard Palate: October, November, December, 2011
Hemiglossectomy (side of tongue): December, 2014
2nd Hemiglossectomy (base of tongue): November 2015