In about 10 days, we're talking with a team of oncologists. Radiation and Chemo.

We've been there before. 35 Radiation Sessions in 2011, which were sadly debilitating. We've dealt with local doctors and hospitals until this latest relapse - when we were referred to a major teaching hospital in Chicago. After the first hemiglossectomy, our local radiation oncologist told us hubby had already had a lifetime dose and was not a candidate for more. The local chemo guy told us this was not a cancer that would respond to chemo, so that was out as well.

Now, at the new hospital and with the new doctors, and following the 2nd hemiglossectomy (done there) - they want us to meet with their oncologists to "make some decisions". I will say, these new doctors are a world above what was available locally - the latest technology and the best trained doctors and nurses.

But we're frightened and don't understand. Are we to brace ourselves for having to choose how to die? From the cancer or from over-radiation? Good grief, it's hard to put this into words. But I've found this group now, and am forcing myself to reach out.

How on earth do you all deal with the fear of the unknown? Or are we blowing this all out of proportion?

Donna
Caring for Hubby: Age 73

Radiation, Hard Palate: October, November, December, 2011
Hemiglossectomy (side of tongue): December, 2014
2nd Hemiglossectomy (base of tongue): November 2015