Thanks for the reply, Christine.
There are/have been so many stories on this Board - I am humbled by the resilience of those who have (and continue to) share(d). Truly, cancer is a disease that knows no bounds.

The panic mode that I hit last week has subsided. I finally figured out the trigger (1st husbands death due to a hip replacement gone wrong & my feelings of responsibility. He didn't make it out of the 9 day ICU stay.) Thank heavens for mental health providers. I will resume this week. So as you may surmise, a little PTSD certainly goes a long, long way.

Thank you for your suggestions regarding communication devices & overall procedure info. My fear is that he will be in an inordinate amount of pain and unable to tell me/anyone. His jaw will be wired closed & he will be trached. (The purpose of the latter is due to the 75% occluded esophagus to allow the blood seeping into the stomach from the surgery to be emptied.) Maybe this is normal operating procedure for everyone?

I'll be with him at the hospital until he is released.

Last week I spoke to a home health outfit in our area which can provide hourly or day/night services. Locating a step down facility is next on my list, in case Cleveland releases him but he requires additional care than I am able to provide. (We live 4 1/2 hours from where Ross gets treatment - I would guess that they may not have a suggestion for local care in our city.)

Feeling overwhelmed seems to be a daily occurrence. I appreciate these Boards. By responding to other posters questions - at least we feel as though we can be useful and supportive.

Thank you again for your response. Valerie

CG to Ross: 69, NS, Social drinker, HPV +
Dx: SCC 4/08; StageIV Throat Cancer.
Tx: 3x Cisplatin + 5FU; 40 days XRT
Met: 12/10 R lung: 2 lobes removed
Met: 8/12 L lung: 1lobe removed; lung collapsed
Dx: 4/15 - 8/15 jaw infection; CT, MRI, Augmentin
Tx: 35 HBOT
Dx: 08/15/15 ONJ lower left & lower right TM joint, impacted wisdom tooth
Tx: 09/8/15 Impacted tooth & osteonecrotic bone removal
Dx: 09/15/15 Lower left/Jaw fracture
Dx: 12/7/15 Mandibulectomy & Fibula Free Flap Reconstruction