Welcome to OCF. Its sounds like you have your hands full but you are handling it very well and are on top of everything. Im so glad you have found our forum. We can help you and your husband with info and support.

Ask specifically for a possey muir valve trach. This type makes talking easier. Hopefully the trach will be removed before your husband leaves the hospital. Also ask about the availability of a visiting nurse to help manage his after hospital care. Many facilities offer this to patients. Sometimes you need to ask, or they dont automatically offer it. The feeding tube definitely qualifies for visiting nurse visits as Ive had this myself. To me, the feeding tube is much easier to care for than the trach. Hopefully the hospital will be able to provide a visiting nurse to help you.

A dry erase board, cell phone, tablet or ipad can help him communicate if your husband isnt able to talk.

The mandibulectomy is a major operation. Expect your husband to be in the hospital for at least 7-10 days, but more likely around 2 weeks if all goes well. Make sure to have someone there with him as much as you possibly can. Even if he is only sleeping, he should have someone there to be his advocate. He may not be able to talk and waking up from this major surgery he probably will be in alot of pain. Any friends or family members who ask what they can do to help, take down their numbers and when they are available. Tell them when the time comes you will let them know. Maybe you could assign each person a 4-6 hour "shift" on the same day of the week at the hospital or even when he first weeks at home so you can get a break once in a while. Its not easy being a caregiver or running back and forth to the hospital all the time. This would also help your husband to stay mentally active by interacting with a few people and hopefully help to keep his spirits up.

Being a caregiver is a difficult job. Be good to yourself so you dont get burned out and can remain on top of everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma