Okay - do whatever you have to medically - that is first and foremost.

THEN...

Up his protein, and iron, and add some supplements.

I say this because diet is SUPER IMPORTANT.

I imagine he isn't eating as well or as healthfully as he should be. This is probably due to what he is going through with regards to treatment and the fistulas etc...

try having him down a couple of high powered protein shakes daily. Limit sugar, and up his iron intake.

Manuka honey is natures peroxide. After each meal he needs to brush his teeth (assuming he has some) maybe waterpik to clear out any gunk hiding in his mouth, and then maybe swish with manuka. (by eating I include drinking if he's on a liquid diet)

wound healing is tied to immunity, and this is tied to diet. Also cleanliness - Bacteria, builds after eating or ingesting anything. minimize the bacteria, minimize the growth of infection.

Hope this helps... hugs

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan