Drs tend to blow it off - a lot of the time it's the - well you're cured and alive - thought. So live with it.

????!!!!

Muscles that have been radiated are damaged. Now muscles have a memory and that memory has been damaged. Radiation also causes reduced blood flow to that area which in turn allows the muscles to atrophy and die.

Can you revive them? To a degree. Eventually over time the damaged cells to generate but this could take years. (one of our members who had facial paralysis with therapy - years later has regained some movement. This is also the same concept with nerves though they take longer.

Pain could essentially be the muscles dying due to lack of O2/blood flow. My advice for what it's worth is acupuncture maybe once or twice weekly to help restore blood flow to the area, plus massage, this too helps warm and soften the muscle and improve blood flow. Also physio this helps stretch and warm the muscles as well plus it has the benefit strengthening. (this also works for nerves too)

Unfortunately it's a long haul. I've regained full function to my arm and neck and maintain it by stretching daily. In the early stages I did acupuncture and physio. And the physio can be passive, simply using your good arm to help the bad improve circulation and range of motion.

I had a left neck dissection and bilateral radiation.

Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan