As a long-time beer lover, I continued to enjoy my beer after I was declared cancer-free the first time. Except for a bout of lung cancer along the way, I remained cancer free for many years until my next occurrence and was a regular drinker during that time. Then a weird thing happened.

Before my biopsy last January, the ENT told me I'd have a sore throat for a few days afterward. Sure enough, he was right and for several days I ate a rather bland diet, no hot or spicy foods and no alcohol. As I recall, I was drinking mostly milk. The following Sunday was the Super Bowl and I was enjoying the game. My throat was feeling better and I thought a good beer sure would taste good right now. I had one sip and it was the worst taste I ever had in my mouth. So I spit it out and opened another beer. Same result. These beers were from the same six-pack I had been drinking from four or five days earlier.

That was the last time I had any beer and right now I have no plans to drink any more. So I've been on both sides of the fence, both drinking and not drinking after OC. As far as I'm concerned, it's a personal choice each person should make after considering all the facts and circumstances related to their situation.

If you decide to drink, then please drink responsibly and enjoy yourself. If you decide not to drink, I hope you also enjoy yourself.

As Fish said, Cheers!

Andrew
4x survivor
1998 - SCC of larynx
...laryngectomy, tracheotomy, radiation, caries, HBO, teeth extr, TEP
2002 - lung cancer, wedge resection
2014 - SCC of BOT, pharynx, oropharynx, HPV-, stage IV, T2N0MX, invasive, poorly differentiated
...chemo (carboplatin, taxol), dc'd due to neuropathy
2015 - SCC of palate
...Feb-April IMRT (46 x 70 Gy)
...Jan 2015 - May 2016 cetuximab 500 mg q week x 55wks
2016 - metastases to mediastinum, lungs, spleen, pancreas
...Aug-? pembrolizumab q 3 wks