Welcome to OCF. Im hoping you will not need our assistance for your mother. Since our forum is worldwide, we have a few members from India.

Im sorry but I do not know anything about the medical system in your country. If it were here in the US, I would suggest seeking out an ENT. In the US, ENTs are usually the best choice for diagnosing oral cancer patients.

There are many things this could be besides oral cancer. Please understand our group is made up of oral cancer patients and caregivers, not medical professionals so its not easy for any of us to be much help with diagnosing anyone, especially over the internet. One symptom you mentioned doesnt match how oral cancer represents itself. It does not come and go, a topical medicine will not heal a cancerous tumor.

I know many in India will chew on the betel nut which represents a higher risk of having oral cancer. Its important to rule everything out so if your mother uses betel encourage her to stop. By eliminating things to make her mouth worse, it might just help in making it heal (at least I hope so). The cracked tongue could be from any number of things including anemia or a poor diet. Could it be thrush?

If the doctor isnt doing a biopsy they must be fairly certain she doesnt have oral cancer. However, a cancerous tumor needs a biopsy to positively determine what the tumor is. Even the most experienced doctors can only give their best educated guess without a biopsy.

I wish I could help more. Best wishes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy