Before I found OCF - there were several times where others lifted me up during some of our darkest days after my son's diagnosis of OC. For me, some of the smallest things happened in the Radiation Waiting area and meant so much more to me than I'm sure anyone realized. There was the Cookie Lady who brought cookies every day. And took the time to talk to everyone. There was the Hug Lady that came by to give anyone a hug that needed it. I was too shy to go get me a hug but I still was comforted knowing she cared about us. And one day someone brought a beautiful Collie dog who sat a few feet away from me, waiting for anyone who might want to pet her. When she caught my eye and I smiled, she came slowly over to me and sat next to me so I could pet her. I've never been "dog" person, but that day, that beautiful Collie gave me a few seconds of peace and comfort. Best of all though, was the young man my son had been talking to in the Rad room waiting area. After my son's name was called and he left for his TX, the young man and I continued to talk a little, and then it was his turn to go get "zapped" but as he got up and passed my chair, he bent over and said to me, "go to Oral Cancer Foundation dot org - they will help". So I did, and they did!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)