Hi guys. I really feel for you all, particularly for poor mig's father - been there, done that, everything stinks and tastes awful and ugh.

I'm not too sure what the feeding tubes you have are. I had one direct to the stomach with food that was introduced from packs by a pump - so I was attached to the pump machine for x hours a day, is that right? because the packs you talk about sound very low level, he should be able to get enough goodness a day from them. But it rather sounds like its a mechanical process? I'm not sure, I only have the French vocab...

If you are talking about pumped-in foods, a prime thing is to take it slowly. The faster you pump it in, the faster it comes back up. It is better to be attached for a long time and keep it down.

The hospital/nutritionist should be able to work with him to get it set at a speed - and using a suitably nutritious product - that will allow him to get adequate nourishment comfortably. I had to spend a couple of days in hospital a few times while they fiddled with the speeds. Basically slow it right down, and speed it up bit by bit (over days) until it reaches a no-no stage - take it back to the previous speed.

If he can, pumping it in overnight is good - so it can take 8-10 hours to slowly introduce a day's worth of high nourishment. Then he is free for the day. But he may need to sleep slightly propped up, or may not be able to do it - in the which case, similarly slowly but during the day.

Note: cold food smells a lot less. If possible, try cold soups, things you can eat as cold snacks, etc. If he gets a sweet tooth go with it! all sorts of custards etc - and especially high protein etc. creamy deserts. Keep fish of any sort - and frying - at several miles distance!!

Second thing: courgettes. Oh - zuccini. If there are actual issues with swallowing (not sure there are), courgettes are the Wonder Veg. They cook soft and help everything to slide down!

Third thing: mouth washes with bicarb of soda. Helps the bucal health and generally the taste of everything.

I lost a lot of weight, despite all this - you try not to, but you do. Really, you just have to keep trying and to remember, it is because of the treatment and it DOES get better. Really.

6/09 lump undr chin
10/09 SCC R tonsular fossa T4N0M0, spread to tongue
11/09 R tonslctmy, partl glssctmy, nd
2/10 IMRTx30, Cispltnx3
5/10 thrombosis port cath remvd L jugular blckd
1/12 mets R lung, part lung remvd
1/13 mets R lung
2/13 partl lobectmy upper R lobe
12/14 MRI enlrgd nodes meta oesophgs
1/15 DX recur 4cm lymph
2/15 Start 6xCispltn+Erbitx+?