Cherry, hiccups are a side effect from chemo. I dont think they are related to the feeding pump. Im very familiar with the Joey pump. Ask me any questions you have about it and Im sure I will be able to help you.

When using the pump, its important to have the patient lying on an incline with their head raised. Either prop them up with 3 or 4 pillows, raise the head of the bed by sticking a couple bricks under head of the bedframe or have him lay in a recliner to do the feedings. Try slowing down the pump and adding water to the formula. Usually those 2 things will make a big difference in nausea. After doing a feeding the tube needs to be rinsed with water (at least 60cc). He should also try to sit or lay still (head still inclined) for at least 30 minutes after finishing a feeding, an hour is even better. This will allow his stomach to settle before he gets up and moves around.

Best wishes!!

PS... Be good to yourself too. Being a caregiver is a tough job. Take some time for yourself so you can at least catch your breath once in a while.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma