It took 2 weeks for my external burns to heal and that was using silvadene cream, which helped enormously.

Usually the burns heal on the inside but it can take quite a while. In my case it has for some reason. I think most of mine have healed now but yet I still have scar tissue (? I guess?) in the spots where the burns were that makes for all sorts of little bumps and raised patches on my tongue, throat and the lining of my cheeks and lips. It feels like it sticks to my teeth in spots ebcause I have no saliva right now. I am four months out.

I also have a few still-tender spots--one on the back of my throat one on the lower side of my tongue--opposite side from where I had the tumor. I think the tongue one is because it is still rubbing against a tooth back there. I don't know why the throat still hurts so much. I do know that if either of these appear to have not healed in another two months I will ask about hyperbaaric oxygen therapy which can apparently help heal sores that don't want to heal on their own in this regard (you may want to read CClark's blog about this).

So one way or the other, there's good reason for hope although you may have to have some patience as well (this whole experiecne has taught me a lot about patiecne which was never my strength)

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"