how much of your tongue they are removing and whether you are having your nodes removed will determine the trache placement. Ideally if they are reconstructing a portion of your tongue they want it immobile and not interfered with during the first few days this is the reason for the trache. What christine suggested was the second trache they put in for me on day three - it made life way more bearable. The told me they wanted the trache in because of swelling and healing. They put the closed trache that allows you only to breath through it - not your mouth and nose - just for a few post op days - same reason as above - they want as little interference with your mouth as possible. I think by day 5-6 my trache was gone entirely. you will be okay.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan