If you are going to have a trach, ask for a possey muir valve trach so if you are able to speak you will be able to with this type of trach. Try to have someone with you during your hospital stay. Its important to have someone you trust be your advocate and help you get thru this. If possible round up a few people to take shifts staying with you.

I understand you have alot going on and many responsibilities. Make sure that anyone who offers their assistance you write down their name and number. Tell them when the time comes you will contact them. There will be a million little things that can help make this easier. Dont be shy, people really do want to help so let them pitch in. If it were someone you knew, Im sure you would want to help them.

As far as work goes, I know its hard not to be concerned but your health must take precedence. I would be surprised if you stayed longer than 4-7 days in the hospital. Recovery can be a few weeks. Your speech and eating will be affected so it could be over a month, maybe even 2 months before you are ready to return to your jobs. You may need physical and speech therapy to help you learn how to speak clearly and maneuver your new tongue. Im sorry this is probably not what you want to hear but I must be honest. I do understand, I was a single mother of 2 teenagers when I went thru my first round of OC and I needed this type of info so I could prepare.

Until your procedure try to eat all your favorite foods. Your eating will be compromised for a while so its best to go into this having no regrets. Hang in there, we are in your corner.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma