Charles surgeon will use a feeding tube inserted through his nose. He wants Charles to start swallowing before leaving the hospital. His surgeon knows him pretty well after working with him for 15 years and thinks he can do it. We aren't cell phone users but I have been thinking about getting one so he could text me from his iPad in case of emergency. It's good to know Kris got through this so well and didn't need to text for help. I'm making a list of the folks who have offered to help and getting together for a meal with my main "helpers."

His surgeon won't insert a TEP during the primary surgery because of the radiation back in 2001. After Charles has healed he can consider that option. I am quite impressed with the quality of voice the TEP enables.

We will make sure Charles has two pain meds ordered. We took ChristineB's wise advice and did that for what turned out to be a surgical biopsy back in 9/14 and it worked out very well.

I haven't had any experience with ICU or SICU. I don't know if I can stay with him in SICU 24/7. Probably need to call before surgery so I'll know what to expect.

Sheryl

Wife/caregiver to Charles
ENT diagosed SCC Rt Tonsil Stage IV, MET 6 lymph nodes in neck 1/2001
Tonsillectomy, RND and six weeks RADS 2/2001
ENT diagnosis from CT scan, SCC in Rt tongue 2/13
25% of tongue removed 2/13 (clear margins)
SCC BOT with mets to 2 level 2 nodes and Lt. Delphian node 8/2014
Surgical biopsy shows cancer in larynx 9/2014
Laryngectomy, resection & rebuilt tongue w/ pectoral muscle, selective neck dissection 11/2014
Recurrences '16 HPV Neg No EGFR Mutations Detected