Travelottie: You are so right that the long term effects can be life altering. I have severe dysphagia and have been on a PEG tube since 2011, also brought on by my 2005 radiation. I had XRT and not the newer IMRT, which I understand may be somewhat kinder to our bone and tissues. I am doing well since my surgery, although I still look like a chipmunk preparing for winter and only storing in my right cheek. The swelling is subsiding. The stitches in my mouth will dissolve and my fistula area stitches were removed last week. Muscle spasms at the hinge area can be painful but are sporadic. Thank you for asking.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.