My ORN was diagnosed in 2010 and smoldered for 3 1/2 years. In 2011 I developed fistulae due to the ORN and also have had trismus since that time. I saw an oral surgeon and a craniofacial surgeon, both of whom are experienced with ORN. Both recommended a conservative approach. Between 2010 and 2012 I had 90 HBOT dives, occasional debridements of the jaw, panoramic X-rays. Granualation and epithelial tissue were growing in the fistula area, albeit at what I thought was a glacial pace! Then in May 2014 I had a pathologic fracture of the mandible. After the fracture I had 30 more HBOT dives. I opted for an opinion from an oral/maxillofacial surgeon who performed a partial mandibulectomy on October 8. I had no pain with the fracture, but my poor speech became unintelligible as my tongue was twisted into a small space and my trismus became worse. I knew I did not want to continue in that fashion. I did not opt for reconstruction.

Travelottie, I have not had any dental issues, and I cannot answer your question re dentists/surgeons experienced with HNC and outcomes. However, I would advise a close watch on ORN with use of the best 3D panoramic X-ray machines. Usually a general dentist does not do a pano more than once a year ~ more frequently is probably better. My ORN appeared five years after my radiation.

All the best to you and your husband.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.