I'm always leery of posting bad news on the forum. I know there are a lot of newcomers here who need support and knowing that someone else has passed from this disease is terrifying and of course is a blow to any kind of positivity may have been mustered to try and battle this disease.

However - it is a reality. We all know this disease can be deadly - though it's not a high profile cancer - it is is in someways more deadly than a lot of the other more well known cancer's that have a much higher survival rate.

That said - to the newcomers and those still fighting - just because we lose many to this disease, does not mean this will be your story. We are so incredibly complex on a biological level and there are so many factors that come into play and this disease is so crazy and random.

Sadly we have lost another member - well her sister was a member and a support person for her. The worst of it is that she was only 18. It's scary how aggressive this disease can be in the young.

The girl who was posting on the forum was Rebecca H.
Her sister was Jonnie Renee Young.
From what I recall of her disease - it was similar to mine, non HPV related - oral tongue cancer.

She had a hemiglossectomy, neck dissection with negative nodes, and went through rads with no chemo. I think initially she was not treated at a ccc. I am not sure if they ever followed up with a second opinion at a ccc, but she was considered "finished" treatment when a few months later she presented with chest and back pain. They discovered 13 tumors in her lungs.

She passed 2 days ago (her sister is on my facebook page)

Please say a prayer for her family and loved ones or if your not religious please keep her family in your heart through this difficult time.

hugs all.

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-09-2014 07:04 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan