Posted By: Cheryld Sad news - 10-09-2014 02:01 PM
I'm always leery of posting bad news on the forum. I know there are a lot of newcomers here who need support and knowing that someone else has passed from this disease is terrifying and of course is a blow to any kind of positivity may have been mustered to try and battle this disease.

However - it is a reality. We all know this disease can be deadly - though it's not a high profile cancer - it is is in someways more deadly than a lot of the other more well known cancer's that have a much higher survival rate.

That said - to the newcomers and those still fighting - just because we lose many to this disease, does not mean this will be your story. We are so incredibly complex on a biological level and there are so many factors that come into play and this disease is so crazy and random.

Sadly we have lost another member - well her sister was a member and a support person for her. The worst of it is that she was only 18. It's scary how aggressive this disease can be in the young.

The girl who was posting on the forum was Rebecca H.
Her sister was Jonnie Renee Young.
From what I recall of her disease - it was similar to mine, non HPV related - oral tongue cancer.

She had a hemiglossectomy, neck dissection with negative nodes, and went through rads with no chemo. I think initially she was not treated at a ccc. I am not sure if they ever followed up with a second opinion at a ccc, but she was considered "finished" treatment when a few months later she presented with chest and back pain. They discovered 13 tumors in her lungs.

She passed 2 days ago (her sister is on my facebook page)

Please say a prayer for her family and loved ones or if your not religious please keep her family in your heart through this difficult time.

hugs all.

Posted By: OzMojo Re: Sad news - 10-09-2014 02:20 PM
Sad news indeed Cheryl. Pass on our love and prayers to her sister please.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Sad news - 10-09-2014 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting this, Cheryl. It is especially emotional and heartbreaking when we lose the young ones. I know each one hurts immensely, but there is just something about a child that dies. I know she was technically and adult but so, so young.

May her family find comfort and peace.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sad news - 10-09-2014 09:25 PM
Im so sorry for the loss of such a young life! What a terrible tragedy.

May Jonnie rest in peace free from pain and sickness.

My sincere condolences to Rebecca H, her family and friends. Thank you for posting this Cheryl.
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Sad news - 10-09-2014 10:32 PM
My god be with the family through there sorrow and heart breaking pain. It is truly hurtful to hear of such a young person pass away.

Heidi
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Sad news - 10-11-2014 01:50 AM
My condlences to her family and friends!!Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Sad news - 10-11-2014 01:34 PM
My condolences to Rebecca and her family.
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: Sad news - 10-17-2014 01:40 AM
It makes me so sad to think of such a young person passing away but it is especially sad to think of the pain and fear she must have felt as essentially a child going through this.

Sophie H.
Posted By: ngk Re: Sad news - 10-17-2014 04:54 AM
Thanks for the post Cheryl. Hoping her family will find comfort knowing they are being thought of and prayed for by others.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Sad news - 10-17-2014 11:01 AM
So sorry to hear of the loss of such a young life. Prayers going to to her family and hopes that in time her family will be comforted knowing how much we all care and share in their grief.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Sad news - 10-17-2014 05:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear this - especially in someone so young. I hope Rebecca and her family are finding comfort in the memories and the support they are receiving.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Sad news - 10-20-2014 05:06 PM
So sad!
Posted By: Sandy1028 Re: Sad news - 11-03-2014 11:40 PM
So so sorry to hear this. So young. Just not fair. Hugs and prayers to the family.

I wish I could hug them in person.
Posted By: Di66 Re: Sad news - 12-25-2014 09:38 PM
Very very sad news, thinking of her family.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum