Roger, you sound like a very intelligent and thoughtful guy, which puts you ahead of the game already. Like Uptown, I can't comment on Proton therapy. As far as IMRT, I had it done here in Los Angeles (dunno where you are in CA but the care in this area is top notch based on my experience). I live alone and took care of myself including driving to treatment every day, save for the last few when the fentanyl patch had me woozy. It was tough but doable, but of course I was living in my own little Hobbit hole in my own town. It would have been considerably more challenging in a strange town. But I'm also fairly self-reliant. There wasn't a whole lot I was able to do after about 10 days of treatment except come home and go back to bed. As long as I could chat with friends in the evening on the phone I was fairly content.

Once you know which treatment they plan for you why not post again. Well, post no matter what and keep asking questions. We're all here to help.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18