JaX123 .
My mom had her left bottom jaw removed. The whole center of the jaw bone was removed and the doctor left just a small part in the back so her jaw still works and it was cut out write before her chin so it didn't affect the front either . There was NO reconstruction needed. You cant even tell its missing. Now I must say the Oncologist Surgeon was very very good . He did a terrific job. Her appearance is beautiful. You cant even tell where he cut. My moms teeth on the side were removed but the ones in the front are still there so its not even noticeable .The surgery took about 8 hours and she stood in ICU for 4 days , then moved to a regular hospital room for 7 days. After she came home I'd say in just 2 weeks my mother was getting around and talking pretty good. I'm sure your father will get a feeding tube put in his stomach. You will have to make sure he gets a lot of calories . I'm sure the hospital will send him home with cans of Ensure or something to that order. And pain Medicine will probably be in liquid form. So you or someone in the family will have to learn how the "Peg" feeding tube works. My mothers feeding tube stood in for about 2 months after surgery. My mother had a cup with crushed ice by her side all the time. He will have a problem with dry mouth.

If I can answer any more questions feel free to contact me anytime.
Heidi/New Orleans

Sweetpe
Caregiver
RE:My Mother
Age 70
Non Smoker
SCC 3/4/2014 Left rear jaw
Mandiblctmy 3/25/2014
35RAD Completed on 06/03/2014
MRI 9/3/2014
25mm lobulated recurrence left mandible/floor of mouth carcinoma
9/23/14 Salvage Surgery
MET(s)
9/23/14 Salvage Surgery Not Successful
Chemo Recommended
1st Round of Cisplatin Chemo Started 10/20/14
Cisplatin stopped 11/20/14. Side affects to bad.
Chemo started again 1/22/15 Carbo/Docetaxel
Passed Away April 22,2015