[quote=Codojm][quote=Ron Silver]Thanks for the replies, but I am very interested in the correct survival stats. Specifically, the survival stats adjusted for HPV negative status, being a locally advanced stage 4 (enough lymph node involvement to be classified as stage 4), and smoking history (30+ pack years.) I found the "Seer" stats.

http://seer.cancer.gov/

Overall, a 67% (if I remember correctly) 5 year survival. But again, not adjusted for the "negative" factors cited above.

Nothing wrong with researching this issue or being informed as to the correct survival statistics for one's disease. Nothing negative about it. I endured the chemo/radiation/peg tube wondrous experience. I want to know the correct survival stats on my disease. Knowing the stats is not "putting much store by stats." I know what stats are-I have nearly 20 years of education and have taken college and graduate level statistical analysis courses. Maybe I need to take a course in how to get a straight answer from my oncologist!

What I found very interesting in my "journey" was finding how much the 5 year survival rate jumped up-by I believe over 20%. But reading between the lines, it appears the increased survival rate was directly due to the HPV involvement. I'm "old school" as I smoked and dranked my way to my demise. [/quote]

Does the recognition that cancer survival statistics are highly misleading, because of inherent biases, make your quest to know "the correct survival stats" largely irrelevant?

Despite that these statistics are very deceptive the American Cancer Society and other cancer charities have been hoodwinking the public with the use of these misleading statistics and the obfuscation of crucial cancer information for decades

Few people, including doctors, understand that survival statistic are not related to mortality data in any significant manner - perhaps that's why your oncologist can't give you "a straight answer"?
[/quote]

Thank you. I assume that the link removed was one to an "alternative cure" website. Who is that very very rich guy who died a premature death because he turned to traditional cancer treatments just a smidgen too late. Ya know, the Apple computer guy. Did you advise him also?

Tonsil Stage 4
7 weeks chemo/rad
4 months peg
NED Pet 9/13