My mother has been very healthy until last winter when she had to have an aortic valve replacement. She was up and down butrallied and we had an awesome 90th birthday party for her in mid July. She mentioned a lump behind her ear to my sister but said it wasn't painful and wasn't overly concerned about it. Over the past 3 weeks she has had 3 falls and is now so weak she can barely function. She went into a small assisted living facility 2 days ago. Last week she finally went to a doctor about the lump and was told it was cancer of the jaw. I live in MD and she lives in FL and I have to depend on a brother who is not very close for information. As far as I know she had no radiologic testing but is scheduled for a PET scan next week. Couple questions, can be jaw cx be diagnosed by a physical exam only? My brother tells me there is not any question that she has it but I don't understand how. Second question, for a 90 year old in her weakened condition, are there many options or should we be prepared for pallative care only? Last question, could this cancer cause her equuillibrium to be off and cause the falls? New to this so thx for your input!