I am ten months out from treatment. Stage 4 HPV positive tonsil cancer. My treatment was Cisplatin and 6.5 weeks IMRT.
Personally, the end of treatment and the month or so following was the worst time for me. I was able to gag down Ensure and Ensure plus. Water tasted swampy which I think was just the result of my burnt nasal passages due to the radiation. Fuji water seemed the least offensive plus the natural silica helped to lubricate and keep my throat from drying out too much. Stay hydrated, very important. Take a probiotic, they are available in pill form and easy to swallow. I did not get enough nutrition and I went in once between the Cisplatin treatments just to get a hydration IV. Protein supplements and dextrose were mixed with whole milk and vanilla frozen yogurt with chocolate syrup just so I could get enough calories and nutrition (plan ahead, I always seemed to be a week behind trying new sources of food). For me, the Ensure just became unbearable. Try not to smell your "food" while eating. Plan on using a humidifier, dry air is painful. Keep a daily log of your calories, protein and medicines to help you focus, plan and keep your spouse happy.
So far, I am cancer free. Taste buds are still off. Lymphedema is gone. Swallowing is requiring less water consumption. Chew sugar free gum, it will help with the reduced saliva. I didn't need to shave for quite some time but the hair on your head should be fine. Another plus is that I think the radiation killed the herpes virus that was causing my recurring fever blister.
Best of luck
(P.S. I watched the Food Network while I was starving, crazy diversion)
Steve

6/5 ENT visit
6/11 FNA biopsy on lymph node
6/13 DX T2N2b stage 4 SCC on right tonsil metastasis to lymph nodes on right side
7/8 first chemo using Cetuximab
8/20 radiation oncologist initial visit
8/21 dental clearance
Cisplatin and Radiation starting Sept 9