I had odd cravings. I found it had to be something I could visualise eating, something that smelled right and most importantly, always tastes the same. Processed meats like frankfurts or spam, they taste the same, every time you've tasted spam its the same. Take away foods, like KFC as David mentions above, can help too. Those things taste and smell exactly the same every time, and you can force your brain to smell it and make the connection even when the taste buds say no.

Don't be thinking it has to be soft to go down. Scrambled eggs made me gag, but vegetables, even crunchy things like fresh celery, go down fine. As suggested earlier try buffets. Not necessarily food courts. I remember my first outing to a food court, I spent 20 minutes going from place to place, then realised there was nothing I could eat at any of them, I sat in the corner and had a cry.

Buffets you try things, especially salad bars. You can try one gherkin or a spoon of cottage cheese or any number of things and if nothing appeals, go fill another plate.

Your Dad has a long way to go. Now that isn't the easiest thing to hear, and right now the last thing he's wanting to contemplate is another 2 years like this. It wont be. The important thing is to focus on how far he's come already. It won't improve overnight but every day will get slightly better. One by one he'll have victories over food and the confidence and spirits will rise with each one. One day, he'll stand like I did at a food court this week. I told myself "I CAN EAT ANYTHING HERE!" And I had a whole kebab. Eventually wink

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.