The sense of smell can be affected by radiation treatments. Im sorry it is bothering him so much.

As far as the eating issues, I just responded to another member with an almost identical post. Here is what I advised....

The recovery phase can be full of ups and downs with a few good set backs thrown in for good measure. Being only 5 - 6 weeks posts rads, you still have a loonnngggg way to go with your recovery. Your sense of taste can take every bit of 2 full years until it is the best it will become. Most patients are doing much better with taste at about 4 months post rads with slight and gradual improvements straight to about the 2 year mark. One day something will taste great and 2 days later after the first bite it tastes horrible or it tastes like cardboard right from the first bite. This will be the norm for your for a few months.

Here is a list of foods that have a softer texture and should be easier to manage when relearning how to eat. If something doesnt taste right today, wait a few weeks and try it again. You really will get there, it just takes time. We are all impatient with the recovery process, it seems to take forever.

Easy to Eat Foods List

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV