Welcome Joann to OCF.

Two weeks into rads is about where many start feeling the effects of radiation. Difficulty eating and swallowing is a near universal side effect, ranging from minor to extreme.

Getting calories and hydration are key and essential and if one can not do it any longer than a feeding tube is needed.

I got through without one and my team of doctors were all supportive of placing a PEG if and when necessary. They all agreed there is less chance of long term swallowing complications by continuing to swallow naturally.

It was very hard for me getting by without one. Eating and swallowing was very painful but I kept at it knowing I was forcing food down the passage I needed long term.

Liquid nutrition is fine. Use pure protein powders mixed with milk and add other high caloric foods like peanut butter and blend it up.

Protein and fat offer twice the caloric density than carbohydrates. Some tout juices and vegs which are great when feeling good but offer low calories so much pain - little gain. May as well get the max benefit for each swallow.

Good luck.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4