Hi Zia,

Welcome to OCF and sorry that you need our support. I was around your age when I was first diagnosed and had two teenagers also.

It is common to get a false positive with a PET scan for a few months after surgery (I did). In my case it was in my lymph nodes and I had a FNA (fine needle biopsy) which takes a sample of the lymph nodes. This test came up clear, and a few months later I had another PET which was also clear. I was told to wait 3 months between PET scans.

My tongue has not been "normal" since my first surgery, with tingling, pain, sores, etc. So what you are experiencing is common but still caused me many sleepless nights. I'm sure having two teenagers will help keep your mind off of your problems. I know it did for me!

I live in PA also, and had gone to HUP for a 2nd opinion. It is a good hospital and if you are being treated by Dr. W he is very good. A few OCF members have been treated by him or at HUP. I also had gone to Fox Chase which is also a good hospital. I have had 4 surgeries - 2 locally and the last 2 at Johns Hopkins (really great place).

It is hard to find a in-person support group for H&N cancer. I have found the OCF forum to be a better option since it is open 24x7. It does help to meet other survivors, and one option is to attend an OCF event. OCF volunteers hold OC awareness walks throughout the country, and there are a few coming up this fall One is in Bethlehem, PA on 9/27 and the other is in Andover, NJ on 9/21. There will be a number of OC survivors at both events. For more information, check out the "More Ways to Help OCF" link that should appear in the upper right corner of this page.

Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)