Welcome to OCF! Im sorry you have the need for our group but its great that you have found us. We will help you with info and support.

Yes, a false positive PET scan can happen. Ive gone thru that myself. Usually false positive PET scans happen when they are done within 3 months of having treatment. Getting a false positive result can be nerve wracking and can really give the patient a good scare. Any residual swelling or inflammation can make a PET scan light up with a false positive result. An oral cancer tumor is not able to be detected just by looking or even with a thorough exam. Sure a doctor can suspect or even guess but honestly, even an experienced doctor isnt able to identify a few stray cancer cells with the naked eye. What type of follow up do you have after this test?

Your tongue is healing which is why you experience tingling and throbbing. Recovery from your type of surgery can take many months, even up to a full year. Think of all the tiny blood vessels that are involved and how the tissue must grow and evolve, it takes time. If you are in pain, ask for pain meds. Neurontin also known as Gabapentin works very well on nerve pain which it sounds like you are experiencing.

If you have doubts about your PET results and how your after care is being managed, seek out a second opinion at a major comprehensive cancer center. Surgeons always want to operate, radiation oncologists will always advise rads. Best to get a whole team of experts together and use the team based approach to determine what avenue works best for your individual situation.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy