Anita,

I'm so sorry that you and Clark are going through this. I too have a broken mandible brought on by ORN and an infection. Mine was pathologic and occurred around May 19. I am now in hyperbaric oxygen therapy again and will have "debridement" surgery after 20 dives, followed by another 10 dives. My mandible and fistulas had been pretty stable for several years. I may have avoided a break had I been on the infection as soon as it showed up, but I didn't begin ABT for about a week. My Oral Surgeon said that WBCs will arrive on the scene and will go after weak bone as well as damaged tissue. I don't have pain fortunately. My docs agree that a break was probably inevitable, "just a matter of time."

I wish I could offer more than my wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. You are so right about the "gift" of radiation. There seems always to be a new challenge around the corner.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.