OzMojo...hello yes he's only able to have formula trough the peg I also make home made shakes and put trough the peg... He's very raw in the back of the mouth "I'm sure it's from both the rads and the mucus" and hocking sorry couldn't think of another word!!
And yes we're also using a humidifier it's helped a lot !! Maybe when the swelling and taste come back we can try the melon !! Like you said it's a tough road and has been for him the last two weeks prior to that he was doing fine with little side effects to treatment.
I hope the next few weeks go by smooth for him he's been trough so much!!

Today at radiation a lady came in with her husband first time he was getting his mask made I thought how our first day felt we talked as we sit and waited she said her husband had tongue cancer and she started to cry i too felt like crying with her bought that time my husband came out i give her a Hug and told her I would be praying I also told her about this forum it's such a hard road for all involved in this disease and treatment ... I fill so bad thinking one would have to go this road alone with no caregiver they would have to be a strong person and I know several have and did a great job !!

Larry ... Rt tonsil / SCC.. HPV16 positive RT oropharynx tonsil) lymph nodes were 13mm left level 2 node / 16mm right level 2 node /12mm right level one node... pet scan was good except tonsil & nodes,, just got peg placed still able to eat/swallow undergoing rads) and chemo. ) 70gy rads..
2chemo.finished rads July 8/2014 CT Scan clear on 8/12 pet scan October-2014-Clear/ left ear tube placement 12-15-2014