The Livestrong Program is not only a FREE 12 week structured exercise "recovery" program for the survivor but the Y also gives the survivor a free 12 week membership with unlimited access not only for the survivor but for their family as well. If they later decide to join the Y, which I'm sure is their motivation to offer this, the Y waives all initation fees. You meet 2 times a week for 1 1/2 hours. Their instructors do have a laid out exercise program but you are free to exercise however you want, whether it's Spinning as I did most or Aerobics or Swimming or the Sauna, which was my wife's fav or resistance equipment or any combo. You must present a doctor's signed approval and you are evaluated at the beginning and at the end so yopu can see your progress. At my Y everyone climbs the Wall at "graduation". I scaled the beginners wall and the next thing I see is my wife, aka Sauna Queen, trying to scale the intermediate wall. She nor I didn't know there were different sections of the wall increasing in difficulty but she made it about 2/3 rds up before her arms gave out.

It costs appx $2000 to put someone through the program and the Y tries to rasie some money specifically earmarked to the Livestrong Program like the Spinarama we just did in April. Our goal was $15,000 and we ended raising over $23,000.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.