Posted By: davidcpa Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 12:15 PM
With the encouragement of my Spin Instructors at the Y I took the class and test and am now a Certified Spin Instructor. One more thing I can cross off my BL.

I owe this to the Y's Livestrong Program for Cancer Survivors. What a GREAT program, FREE to ALL Cancer Survivors.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 03:19 PM
davidcpa, you are amazing!
Posted By: fish Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 08:42 PM
Congrats David! BTW thank you for sharing that the YMCA has a free program for cancer survivors. I will have to check one out in my area.
Posted By: fish Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 08:43 PM
Congrats David! BTW thank you for sharing that the YMCA has a free program for cancer survivors. I will have to check one out in my area.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 10:27 PM
Congrats! You lead the way to great living after cancer.

Why no such programs in CA? Only two in SB, really? Did it never make it out here or maybe withdrawn due to controversy with him?

Any other health/fitness programs targeted to cancer survivors?

Thanks
Posted By: Uptown Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 10:34 PM
Congratulations, David!
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 10:35 PM
Congrats Dave! That is awesome.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 10:40 PM
Livestrong at the YMCA is free for all survivors. The trainers attend a special training program through Stanford. During the 12 week program, your family gets a free membership as well.

Here is a link to the locations:

http://www.livestrong.org/What-We-D...he-YMCA/LIVESTRONG-at-the-YMCA-Locations

Also free for male cancer survivors is Reel Recovery, a support group with a weekend of fly fishing and eating, free except for travel.

www.reelrecovery.org

Posted By: bwb Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-20-2014 11:38 PM
They don't let women fly fish?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 12:56 AM
There is an organization for fly fishing that allows women. Sorry but I cant remember the name of it. From what I do remember it was a very nice retreat for a few days for female cancer survivors.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 05:26 AM
brb, I think it's more men are such slobs that someone forgot to invite the women. There are quite a few for women survivors but most are geared towards breast cancer. Here is one.

http://reelingandhealing.org

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 12:11 PM
The Livestrong Program is not only a FREE 12 week structured exercise "recovery" program for the survivor but the Y also gives the survivor a free 12 week membership with unlimited access not only for the survivor but for their family as well. If they later decide to join the Y, which I'm sure is their motivation to offer this, the Y waives all initation fees. You meet 2 times a week for 1 1/2 hours. Their instructors do have a laid out exercise program but you are free to exercise however you want, whether it's Spinning as I did most or Aerobics or Swimming or the Sauna, which was my wife's fav or resistance equipment or any combo. You must present a doctor's signed approval and you are evaluated at the beginning and at the end so yopu can see your progress. At my Y everyone climbs the Wall at "graduation". I scaled the beginners wall and the next thing I see is my wife, aka Sauna Queen, trying to scale the intermediate wall. She nor I didn't know there were different sections of the wall increasing in difficulty but she made it about 2/3 rds up before her arms gave out.

It costs appx $2000 to put someone through the program and the Y tries to rasie some money specifically earmarked to the Livestrong Program like the Spinarama we just did in April. Our goal was $15,000 and we ended raising over $23,000.
Posted By: David2 Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 04:16 PM
Sounds like a great program and congrats to my fellow David (when a David does something good all Davids bask in his accomplishment... especially here at the forum where there are so many of us).

Only wish the nearest one of these to me wasn't an hour away in LA traffic!
Posted By: bwb Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 05:45 PM
Yeah, the livestrong program looks, really, really good. My mom's been talking about rehab post treatment and I think she'll do that first but I called the local y and they will take her post rehab and work with her specific fitness goals which are entirely based around a cruise she's taking next year (knock wood).

Despite my snarkiness about the fly fishing, I'm super stoked to learn about the livestrong program.

Posted By: Uptown Re: Now Certified Spin Instructor - 06-21-2014 08:09 PM
I don't know what part of Texas you are in but a church in Plano offers rehab at no cost. There are licensed physical therapists and the equipment is geared for rehab.

The Texas chapter of Reel Recovery is very active with 2 events in the Hill Country.

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum