Hello John - welcome to the family. You've already seen how knowledgeable and caring your new brothers and sisters are. We will help you get through this.

You were in fit shape before diagnosis, that endurance will help you fight the disease nicely. I had very few problems during treatment; other than a little fatigue which was taken care of with a daily 15-30 minute nap. Nothing else changed for me during treatment. I'm a pretty serious dancer (swing, ballroom, country, latin) and I didn't have to give any of that up during treatment. Dancing is not running marathons (have done 3), but it isn't sitting on the couch either.

So, do what your body will let you; it will tell you when enough is enough. More importantly, eat as if you were trying to get fat. You won't get fat, and you likely won't gain a single pound. The disease and it's treatment are consuming 2/3 of what you ingest every day, so unless you want to live on 1/3 of your intake (which won't work) you simply gotta increase intake. Add in exercise during treatment and you have to eat a lot more.

Some treatment centers install a PEG feeding port on all patients, some don't. Let's hope you can avoid one.

take care,
Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good