Every day from the start of rads thru at the very least the one year mark your need to take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. Its up to you what you use to get those calories in. After what your body went thru it desperately needs every single one of those calories. It must rebuild both the damage the cancer did to you and also the treatments.

Recovery is a loooonnnngggg road!!!! It takes most of us a full 2 years to completely heal from rads. This includes the taste buds. Patients have said they notice gradual taste improvements even at the 2 year mark. Of course, everyone is different and will recover in their own timeframe. Since you didnt have chemo and 'only' 30 rad treatments you may bounce back slightly faster.

My advice would be its a little too early in your recovery process to be overly concerned with what is best for your body. Your focus must be on the daily calories and hydration intake. You will see many ups and downs during recovery. Once you are about 8+ weeks post rads you should be much more stable so I suggest waiting a few more weeks before you play around with your diet. Losing weight is a bad sign, it can quickly lead to malnutrition and dehydration which means hospitalization. I went down that path and felt horrible. After a couple stints in the hospital I wised up and worked harder to get the minimums in every single day.

Your sense of taste will improve... in time. One day out of the blue a new food will taste great and 2 days later it will taste like you pulled it from the bottom of the garbage can. Hang in there, it will get better. For every 2 steps forward be prepared to take one step back for the next few weeks.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy