Hello I'm Angielina my husband is Larry we been married 20 years this past march!

The end of March my husband was hurting bad in his jaw area where he had been hurting for the past weeks off and on he was taking Motrin for the pain and it was healing the pain for awhile he went to the ER and was told he needed to go to lexington to see a DR, and the ER,dr wanted him to go the next day see my husband is the kinda guy you just like to talk to and be around he always knows whys to say and how to make a good conversation!! So the ER dr really seem to care about Larry so he wanted him to be seen soon the next day!! That was for him to be seen in a whole new town in Lexington ,ky abought an 1:45 mins away so fr their I call and get a new appointment it was two days latter from seeing the ER dr he also give Larry the film that was on cd to take with him to see the ENT we get their and they look down his throat with a long device with a light and camera on it this went trough the nose it was so quite in the room we were very scared I felt sick and I'm sure Larry did as well ,, so after the checkup he said it looks like their is a tumor their and we're going to set you up with an appointment for a biopsy so after the ENT did the biopsy I met with him In a consultation room where he said I seen the tumor you're husband has I could do surgery to remove it but I think he will do better with radiation and maybe a few chemo"" treatments so I ask is this curable he said yes but he will need those things done he said but first we will set you all up to come back after we get the biopsy results in so I went on asking more questions and he acted like he got in a hurry after that a week latter or less we go back and he met with us saying yes it is cancer Tonsil Cancer I had never heard of it and it's HPV. 16 positive still never heard of it !! We set their silent cause we had been so scared from day one I couldn't eat it's been like a dream I've came now to kinda have more knowledge about it still needing more of course ..,

The ENT set us up with the rad DR , and he wasn't what we was expecting he was made us fill down headed and pissed me off I was kinda rude back with him!! He seem like a sour puss .. But on a better note we met a guy who worked under the rad dr he was very nice we felt a little more comfortable with him after we go back for the pet scan a week latter we see the chemo dr and she is very nice up front answering all the questions I had cause my husband very rarely ask and questions he seemed very comfortable with her as she wanted to sit and keep talking to him she just kicked back and really enjoyed the conversation she also told Larry about his pet scan that everything looked good except the tumor was their and two small lymph nodes on the right where the tumor was and one small node on the left I think they we're 16mm and 12mm the chemo dr said you don't have to take the chemo unless you're very comfortable and 100% sure in you're heart you want to do this Larry did ask one important question how much does this add along with radiation she said 10% really that's all I thought maybe he shouldn't put himself trough the chemo I was set against it from their own I think she was trying to tell him not to do it but didn't want to come out and say it that the impression I got !! So we say set him and we will think on it if he decided this isn't for him I will call and cancel!!!

Larry decided to go with it after his sister told him it might get some bad cells so he says yes I try it the nurse we saw when we get to chemo was very nice he told us lots of stuff about the cissplation the name of the chemo Larry would take he set their for 6 hours he was relaxed he ate chili and cornbread he did drink lots of water and some sprite after we get on the road heading home Larry don't fill good at home he goes straight to bed he fills sick he laid in bed bought all day that evening I get him up he drinks a chocolate milk shake and sits on the porch still not wanting any food he says the chili made him sick I say the chemo so the next day he still don't want good he says he still fills sick he threw up several times I flush the peg tube and have him empty some of the chili out that was still in the peg so really he starts to fill better after flushing the peg Larry is still able to swallow and eat good and I pray this stays the same.

I pray for all who go trough this now we have on our minds that he will always have dry mouth cause we haven't got to see the rad dr to ask for oral meds to save the saliva glands if their is such a thing..., I heard of a wire used to tie off the saliva gland but I guess it's in a bigger city hospital I've read up on the tonsil cancer and I've wrote dine and put together lots of important info : and I will share those things in some of the post here so everyone gets to view it this is Larry's 4th day rads ..

Yes he's just started, hoping it's over before we know it Larry and I have two boys ages 7 and 14 he's such a good daddy the little one still sleeps with his dad and the bigger one did the same thing from like one year old so that shows their love for him the little one won't sleep in the bed unless his daddy is their and the last few weeks Larry has made the recliner his bed so last night I set their bed up with pillows and made it almost as if he was in the recliner I heard him up this morning I think he had the runs still not sure if it was from chemo or chili !!

I keep the peg clean keep him drinking water and eating but this man has been a worker all his life he worked as a foreman in the coal mines then he started construction and he's did that for twenty Some years ,, he'was always in the garage working on knifes and his tools and Antiques witch he had lots of all those things he loves hunting fishing flea markets antiques guns knifes all that stuff so he's going to miss that until he fills better and we're not sure how long that will be like I said he only been 4 times to rads 1 time to chemo!!!

I really wish Larry could have did surgery I would have felt more comfortable then he could have did the chemo radiation but we will see how it goes thanks for reading and letting me vent some too !! Hope to learn more from this site and met new people with more info thanks again

Last edited by ChristineB; 05-22-2014 01:45 PM. Reason: added parapgraphs

Larry ... Rt tonsil / SCC.. HPV16 positive RT oropharynx tonsil) lymph nodes were 13mm left level 2 node / 16mm right level 2 node /12mm right level one node... pet scan was good except tonsil & nodes,, just got peg placed still able to eat/swallow undergoing rads) and chemo. ) 70gy rads..
2chemo.finished rads July 8/2014 CT Scan clear on 8/12 pet scan October-2014-Clear/ left ear tube placement 12-15-2014