Kimberly, welcome to our family. You have found the very best online support group to help you get thru everything you are facing. We will help you with correct medical info and support.

Its never a bad idea to get a second opinion. When you decide on a treatment center, ask what support they offer. You should be able to easily join some family groups there.

Read and educate yourself about OC. An informed patient is a strong advocate for themselves. Knowledge is power. Too often the little things dont get discussed unless you ask about them.

Now is the time to focus on being proactive and doing things to prepare yourself and your family for your treatments. Eat everything you can, all your favorites. Dont be concerned about calories too much or weight gain. Its ok to gain a few pounds, you will probably be like the rest of us and lose whatever you gained. Depending on how you are treated, your sense of taste and/or swallowing and eating capabilities may be compromised for weeks, possibly a few months.

Get a full blood count done, make sure to have the doc include thyroid counts as well.

Visit your dentist and get a complete, thorough check up.

When you talk to friends and relatives about your illness and they offer their help, make sure to tell them you will let them know what they can do when the time comes. Write down their contact info in a notebook or address book. If the time comes where you need a hand, dont hesitate to call on your list of helpers. People really do want to pitch in but often they just dont know what to do to help. When you need help even for little things like picking your child up from school, grabbing a few items from the grocery store or even doing a load of laundry dont be afraid to ask for help. Thats one area I really struggled with! I was always overly independent so for me to ask people for help it was very out of character and took alot of courage. After doing it a couple times like anything it gets easier.

Most of all, try not to overdo it with worrying. I know its not easy to avoid worrying. But try to focus on the big picture, it is not helpful at all. When a patient worries excessively it causes them to get stressed which is not healthy or helpful. Its a challenge for most of us to get a handle on worrying, with alot of practice it can be done. I know you are going thru a wide range of emotions right now. Always remember here at OCF, its ok to vent or let off some steam. We completely understand everything you are going thru.

Best wishes with everything!

PS.... Heatherly, welcome to our group. Please make an Introductory post so we can all properly welcome you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma