Mandy... I can't tell you not to be scared... it would do no good. and realistically you have a right to be scared. What I can tell you is that there are a lot of people here who've been where you are and they are still around to tell the tale. Everyone is different, so looking at stats etc.. only tells half the story. Focus on your health now. What can you do to make this go as smoothly as possible. Eat healthfully, consume as many calories as you can now before you start radiotherapy - plan for the worst - hope for the best and do whatever you can to try and get back to normal after.
Pain management is important if you are sensitive to pain let them know. Radiation is okay the first 3-4 weeks, the last 4 weeks are not so much fun - know this and prepare for it. (even if you are only having 6 weeks of radiation the first two weeks following are the worst) I am not going to lie and tell you it's a cake walk. I had a relatively easy time of it and it was still highly unpleasant. Know yourself - know what soothes you and indulge in that. I like long baths. When I was really hurting and feeling crappy, I would grab an ensure and take a long hot bath. I would lay on the couch (with a cloth, my blanket, my rinse and something to spit into (Gross I know)) and watch aimless television shows. I did this for about 2 weeks at the end. I forced myself to walk my dog though, and meditated a bit. This soothed me. Find out what works for you. I found my waterpik was my best friend. And I stocked up on liquid nutrition and mild flavorless soups (nothing that burns)
You will get through this. Read up on the fall out from radiation and then see if you can figure out what would work to offset those particular issues. Nutrition and hydration are very important. Up your protein intake now if you can and maintain it. Stock up on lip balm - (lips get very dry) - buy a good cream etc... hugs and we are here when you have any questions.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan